Article by Globalnet
As creativity is the act of turning new and imaginative ideas into reality it can be used everywhere, also at work. Creativity is characterised by the ability to perceive the world in new ways, to find hidden patterns, to make connections between seemingly unrelated phenomena, and to generate solutions. Creativity involves two processes: thinking, then producing (creativityatwork.com/2014/02/17/what-is-creativity/)
Many research was made on creativity, its origins and its role in our lives and in education and all research support the crucial role of creativity. A study/test developed by Dr. George Land and Dr. Beth Jarman by George Land shows that people are born creative and as we grow up we learn to be uncreative.Schools kills our creativity. We all know that fact. 98% of pre-schoolers were considered creative geniuses and less than 2% of the adults tested in studies were creative geniuses. Therefore, there is a lot of space to take actions and to retain or restore our aboriginal creativity.
Creativity is something that can be learnt and it begins with a foundation of knowledge, learning a discipline, and mastering a way of thinking. To be creative you should experiment, explore, question assumptions, use your imagination. Practice makes masters, therefore you should practice your creativity and practice the creativity of your learners.
The behaviours that optimize a brain for creativity and discovery and help in generating ideas are (Studies by Clayton M. Christensen and his researchers uncovered The Innovators DNA). You can practice it each day.
- Associating: finding connections between questions, problems, or ideas from unrelated fields
- Questioning: posing queries that challenge common wisdom
- Observing: scrutinizing the behavior of customers, suppliers, and competitors to identify new ways of doing things
- Networking: meeting people with different ideas and perspectives
- Experimenting: constructing interactive experiences and provoking unorthodox responses to see what insights emerge
You should practice those skills on regular basis, each day and it will help in developing your skills in creativity and innovation.28